Health Safety & Environmental Manager for East Africa Region
COO East Africa
Summary of the Role:
The role is to be responsible for leading and supporting all aspects of the business in its adoption and conformance to all Health Safety and Environmental legislation and policies/statements and procedures.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate the development and implementation of the health, safety and environmental management system in compliance with environmental legislation, ISO 14001 and relevant customers codes of practice throughout the group’s East African businesses that promote sustainable development;
- To establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, risk assessments, management systems and delivery of all Health Safety Environmental activity effectively and efficiently;
- Liaise with regulatory bodies, internal plus external business customers to ensure all key performance measures and objectives are achieved in regard to Health Safety and the Environment;
- Ensure that all relevant legal rules and regulations are met by our organization;
- Educate, develop and implement OHS training programs on health and safety procedures, regulations and produce educational resources and coordinate environmental training of HSG staff;
- Always ensure that the company is prepared to submit all the relevant health and safety documents;
- Encourage and promote the use of safer work equipment, materials and supplies;
- Track the number of incidents and produce reports;
- Monitor exposure to work risks and implement preventative measures to ensure unsafe processes are not repeated;
- Ensure statutes, regulations, and codes are clearly understood and met
- Intervene to stop any acts or processes which are unsafe or do not comply with OHS guidelines ;
- Ensure all personnel follow all personal safety precautions (hardhats, protective goggles, etc.);
- Update procedures and policies for new regulations or local ordinances.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, engineering, construction, occupational safety and health, or related field;
- A relevant professional qualification in Environmental Management and detailed understanding and proven capability in environmental legislation and ISO 14001.
Qualifications and Experience needed:
- Extensive knowledge of effective health safety and environmental management strategies and best practice;
- Detailed knowledge of current health safety and environmental legislation and its application;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently;
- The ability to work in partnership and across boundaries to achieve results;
- The ability to overcome obstacles to solve problems to achieve results;
- Ability to cope with pressure and work to tight deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent presentation skills, detail-oriented and ability to use the different Microsoft packages;
- Strong IT skills e.g. Microsoft Office.
- Five (5) years of previous experience in comprehensive workplace safety and compliance programs.
Strong command of verbal and written English; Knowledge of French is a strong advantage.
The role requires frequent extended travel within Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, and Ethiopia.